Democratic Republic of Congo's government cut internet connections and SMS services across the country for a second straight day on Tuesday as the country nervously awaited results from the weekend's chaotic presidential election. "We are progressing well but we do not have everything done yet", said Corneille Nangaa on Saturday without specifying the exact date scheduled for publication.
The government has also cut Internet access until the poll results are announced, saying this is a necessary measure to prevent the spread of fake news.
Improvised electoral agents count the ballots after a symbolic vote on 30 December 2018, at Kalinda Stadium in Beni, where voting was postponed for Democratic Republic of Congo's general elections.
"Now more than ever the Congolese people need assurance that the authorities are genuinely committed to the respect for human rights and allowing people to access information from diverse sources and communicate freely is a key part of that".
As of Thursday, the electoral commission's president said it had collected results from about 20 per cent of polling stations.
The results of last week's presidential vote in the Democratic Republic of Congo will not be published on Sunday, officials say, despite growing calls for the outcome to be announced.
DR Congo's powerful Catholic Church, which sent more than 40,000 observers to monitor the vote, says it knows who won and urged the election commission to publish the results "in keeping with truth and justice".
On Friday, the Congolese electoral commission accused the Catholic Church's conference of bishops (CENCO) of "preparing an insurrection", Reuters reported.More news: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer concedes Manchester United were flattered by victory
More news: The National Debt Hit $22 Trillion at the End of 2018
More news: Palestinian-American congresswoman on Trump: We will 'impeach this motherf---er'
The internet remains blocked in the Central African country in an apparent attempt by the government to calm speculation.
Democratic Republic of Congo.
As official results are tabulated and reported, we continue to urge DRC government officials, leaders of the DRC security forces, opposition party leaders, civil society representatives, and stakeholders from all sides to respect the law and reject violence.
Trump's letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says about 80 military personnel and "appropriate combat equipment" deployed to nearby Gabon to support the security of US citizens and staffers and diplomatic facilities in Congo.
The vote is meant to choose a successor to incumbent Joseph Kabila, who is due to step down this month after 18 years in power.
No Western election observers were invited to watch the vote, which was meant to occur in late 2016, after Congo's government was annoyed at worldwide pressure amid concerns that Kabila was trying to stay in power.
The head of the electoral commission said this was because less than half the ballots had arrived.
The United States, which has threatened to impose sanctions against those who undermine the election process and has deployed troops to Gabon in case its citizens need rescuing from any violence, backed the statement, alongside Britain, Ivory Coast, Belgium and others.