The Trump administration on Friday blacklisted Huawei - which it accuses of aiding Beijing in espionage - and threatened to cut it off from the USA software and semiconductors it needs to make its products.
Yu stresses that Huawei would only launch its own OS if it were permanently banned from using Google's Android or Microsoft's Windows. The firm's HiSilicon chip division had been licensing processor designs from ARM and customizing them for use by the Chinese telecoms group. Google's action immediately ratcheted up tensions between the U.S. and China, with the U.S. for a while now having sounded an alarm to pretty much anyone who'll listen that Huawei may be a proxy for China's central government as well as its national security apparatus.
Washington is lobbying Britain not to use Huawei's products, and on Thursday a South Korean newspaper reported similar pressure was being placed on Seoul.
This is Huaweis immediate back-up since many Huawei and Honor phones already come with the App Gallery pre-installed. They licence that from UK-based ARM.
Huawei said late Wednesday that it is working with ARM about their partnership and that it hopes the situation can be resolved. Inventing a new architecture is more akin to developing your own operating system kernel or a compiler for a computer language.
ARM felt it had to take to some action as its chip designs contain "US origin technology", putting it under the purview of the Trump administration's ban on dealings with Huawei.
"ARM values its relationship with our longtime partner HiSilicon (Huawei's chip arm) and we are hopeful for a swift resolution on this matter".More news: Chelsea coach Maurizio Sarri praises Eden Hazard
More news: Kohli & Co fancy Indian summer in England
More news: Brexit talks collapse as PM Theresa May's authority drains away
ARM licenses crucial semiconductor designs that form the basis of Huawei's Kirin line of processors which run nearly all of Huawei's and its sub-brand Honor's smartphones. After the U.S. Commerce Department added Huawei and its 70 affiliates to its trade blacklist on May 15, Google announced that it would suspend its business with Huawei.
Huawei stressed that its existing handset users will not be affected by the developments.
An analyst speaking to the Beeb said that he thought the withdrawal of Arm co-operation would be an "insurmountable" blow to Huawei's business if it was sustained in the longer term. The Mountain View giant will also not provide any support to Huawei phones in the future, even as current Huawei phones will retain their Google apps.
Ren said his company has been preparing for the worst after fellow Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE was targeted by the United States government previously.
The processor in a phone needs to work closely with the operating system in a device.
Mobile phone retailers in the Philippines are also staying away from Huawei products.