Former NSW and Wallabies star Folau started the campaign, after RA sacked him following his controversial social media posts, in which he said gay people, among others, would go to hell unless they repent.
After an enormous protest howl from across Australia, the #GoFundMe mob that had collected over NZ$800,000 to fund the Folau legal appeal looked again at its own terms and conditions and decided on Monday morning not only to close down the Folau appeal, but also to refund all money to donors.
The company said it discovered Folau's campaign violated it terms of service during a routine check of pages. "While we welcome GoFundMe engaging in diverse civil debate, we do not tolerate the promotion of discrimination or exclusion".
Folau had already received more than 750,000 Australian dollars (€458,000) in donations to the website, on which he had added a statement.
The 30-year-old was accused of greed following the launch of the fundraising drive, with ex-Australia wing Drew Mitchell heavily critical and referencing the many seriously ill people using GoFundMe to foot medical bills. He had a lucrative four-year contract with the latter worth Aus$1.0 million (US$700,000) annually.
"The haters and Christophobes have forced Israel Folau's church into hiding and GoFundMe appears to have closed his account, in the usual illiberal way of woke corporates", Miranda Devine, a conservative columnist for Sydney's Daily Telegraph, tweeted.
Folau had set up the page to help cover the "legal costs" associated with his case against Rugby Australia and the governing body's decision to terminate his contract.
Folau on Friday gave his first media interview since his dismissal to radio host and former Wallabies coach Alan Jones, a long-time critic of Rugby Australia and its CEO Raelene Castle.More news: 4.5-magnitude natural disaster shakes Rooks County, region
More news: International Airlines Join U.S. in Avoiding Iranian Airspace After Drone Attack
More news: Massive Inferno And Explosions At Major Oil Refinery
"I would be very grateful for your support".
He is now seeking up to $10 million in damages from Rugby Australia and has filed a case with the the Fair Work Commission to compensate his losses in earnings with the commission.
He asked for public donations to profit him with a correct fight in opposition to RA, arguing it brushed off him unlawfully.
Folau says he and wife Maria, an global netball player, have already spent more than $100,000 dealing with RA's internal tribunal processes.
Furthermore, this is made even more complicated based on Folau's contract, and whether he was permitted to say something like this, after a similar situation the year before.
"Two issues for all the Folau attackers, [like you, ]" a reader wrote to me.
"I'll just say this, people say Australia was divided and I think there was some truth in that".